Indoor allergies can be especially difficult to control. While those with food or pet allergies can avoid those allergens, people who suffer from indoor allergies typically cannot. There are, however, things you can do to mitigate the allergens in your home and help you breathe easier. Our Corpus Christi allergy clinic has some suggestions:
- Get your carpet & upholstery cleaned regularly. Your carpeting, drapes, and upholstered furniture can be prime locations for allergens. They become trapped in the fibers and are released every time to you sit down or walk by. Having them professionally cleaned at least once a year can help remove the allergens and help you breathe easier.
- Declutter. Dust is an indoor allergen that aggravates many people. By removing knickknacks and other clutter from your home, your are giving dust fewer places to hide and helping you keep things cleaner.
- Wash bedding on hot. Mites and other allergens in your bedding can be easily dealt with by washing your bedding once a week on hot. This will kill the mites and remove many of the allergens so you rest easy.
- Run an air filter. You can buy an air filter in many big box stores or have one added to your HVAC system. Either method will improve the quality of your indoor air and remove allergens.
- Reduce moisture. Don’t let mold or mildew grow in your home. The best way to prevent this is to keep moisture at bay. Make sure your bathroom is well ventilated.
Our Corpus Christi allergy clinic is here to help! Make an appointment with our specialists to get more great tips.