As the Corpus Christi area’s experienced allergy testing professionals, we often hear the same questions about skin allergy tests from many of our potential patients. When your doctor requests a skin allergy test to be performed it initially causes some level of anxiety as many are unsure of the procedure and are worried about what the results may indicate. Understanding just what your visit will entail can help alleviate some of that tension and help you to feel less anxious. Some of the more frequently asked questions include the following:
- Are skin allergy tests painful? Most patients report that they feel little to no pain during the procedure. The technique consists of small scratches or scrapes gently applied with a tiny comb.
- How long does each test take? Each visit should only be about 30 minutes in length – about 15 minutes for the procedure itself and about 15 minutes more for the results to register.
- How often do you use allergy injections as a form of treatment? Allergy injections are used by our doctors as a last resort. Where injections can help alleviate symptoms, the treatment plan includes less dramatic techniques until everything has been tried.
- Will my health insurance cover my allergy testing? Most insurance plans cover both allergy testing and immunotherapy. We can help you with your specific insurance company and what is covered.
- Do I continue to take my medication or antihistamines? For the best results, make sure to stop taking any prescription or over-the-counter medication at least three days before your skin allergy test.
Each and every one of the professionals at The Allergy and Asthma Center of Corpus Christi is focused on helping individuals find relief from the allergy and asthma symptoms that continue to plague many in our town.